Contact us

The links below will assist you to record water share transactions, including transfers, mortgages, limited term transfers and discharges of mortgage.  

You can lodge your water share transaction using a form approved by the Registrar and search the Water Register. 

To obtain copies of individual water share records, find out about the distribution of entitlements by water systems and trading zones, and get information about trading rules and trades that have occurred, you will need to access the Water Register website.

Victorian Water Registrar

Victoria's Water Registrar is Ian Ireson, who is also the Registrar of Titles. The Water Registrar is responsible for:

  • ensuring the water register system operates effectively
  • recording transactions related to water shares including transfers, mortgages, limited term transfers and discharges of mortgage
  • ensuring accuracy, reliability and accessibility of records.

Lodging a transaction with the Water Registrar

The register also provides summary reports on volume of water shares in each water system, annual allocation, use and the trading history, including average prices for each water system.

You can lodge your water share transaction in person over-the-counter at Land Use Victoria.

All you need to do is say that you want to lodge a water register transaction of your water share and you will be referred to a Registration Officer who will process your transaction.

You can also post your lodgement to:

Victorian Water Registrar 
Land Use Victoria 
GPO Box 527 Melbourne 3001

Your water share transfer must be lodged in the Water Register by the Water Registrar within two calendar months from the date your water authority approved the transaction. If the transaction is not lodged within the two calendar months, the water authority approval lapses and the Water Registrar will not record the transfer.

Fees apply for lodging a transaction with the Water Registrar. You will find information on Water Registrar fees and fees relating to water shares and water allocations in the Water Register

Water Register

The Water Register is the public register of all water-related entitlements in Victoria. It records:

  • who has been issued with water shares and the reliability, tenure, location and holding in megalitres (ML) for each water share
  • how much water has been allocated against water shares, how much has been used, and where it was used
  • registered interests in water shares, such as mortgages and leases.

Searching the Water Register

To obtain water share information you can search the Water Register by visiting the search facilities located at Land Use Victoria.

You can also obtain a Copy of Record of a water share from the Water Register website.

Alternatively, you can place an order online through Landata and complete a water search.

To carry out a search or to order water-related documents you will need information to identify the documents as follows:

Water Share Record - e.g. WEE123456 and/or
Water Register Document - e.g. MOR654321

You can also engage the services of a professional searcher, also know as 'Title Searchers'.

Fees apply for a search of the Water Register.

Further information

For more information about the Water Registrar and searching the Water Register, visit our Frequently asked questions

For location and contact details, visit contact us.

Page last updated: 21/09/18