Find a valuer

If you require a valuation of your property, you should contact the Australian Property Institute (API)

Unlike other Australian states, valuers do not have to be formally registered to practise in Victoria.

Candidates for API membership must be graduates or students of an approved tertiary course in valuations, plant and machinery valuations, land economy or property studies. API members undergo compulsory continuous professional development.

What valuers do

Property valuers assess the value of land, buildings and improvements, and plant and machinery.

They provide expert advice on matters under litigation and are recognised by courts as expert interpreters of the property market.

Valuers gather and analyse a range of property information, such as sales, to determine the values of comparable properties.

A valuation is an assessment of the amount a property would sell for on a set date.

The valuation process is a complex one, involving continual reviews of data and an ongoing analysis of developments in the property market.

Valuations are used for:

  • setting limits for the sale and purchase of properties
  • setting rental levels (lease)
  • asset accounting and management (financial reporting)
  • lending and associated financial dealings (mortgages)
  • property settlements (divorce proceedings, deceased estates)
  • property rating and taxation systems
  • property portfolio analysis
  • taxation assessments (GST)
  • determining issues when there is a dispute (retail rental determinations under the Retail Leases Act 2003 )
  • providing expert evidence before the courts/Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Become a valuer

Property valuers perform many tasks in both the public and private sectors. These include valuations of government assets, social security assets tests, property transactions including rentals, sales, compulsory acquisitions, rating valuations, development, mortgage and finance solutions.

Academic qualifications

Most valuers practising in Victoria have completed a course in valuations at either RMIT, the University of Melbourne or Deakin University.

  • RMIT offers a Bachelor of Applied Science (Property and Valuation). For more information phone (+61 3) 9925 2000.
  • The University of Melbourne offers a Bachelor of Environments with a Master of Property. For more information phone (+61 3) 8344 6417.
  • Deakin University offers a Bachelor of Property and Real Estate and a Bachelor of Property and Real Estate (combined with Commerce) at their Burwood campus. For more information phone (+61 3) 9244 6100.

Trainee Valuer Scheme

Valuer-General Victoria (VGV) introduced the Trainee Valuer Scheme to help full-time students complete their degree and develop their professional and personal skills as property valuers.

Participants in the scheme study full-time for approximately three years and complete a minimum of 15 weeks work placement with VGV each year. They then begin full-time employment with VGV to complete any remaining studies and two years supervised work experience, a prerequisite to applying for the Australian Property Institute (API) Certified Practising Valuer (CPV) status.

Through a comprehensive program of workplace rotations, trainees gain experience in subdivision, central business district, compensation, asset and municipal rating valuations, as well as a range of other skills.

Trainees who successfully complete the scheme may be offered a position in the Victorian Public Service, with competitive salary, excellent working conditions and personal and professional development opportunities.

Applications for the 2020 Trainee Valuer Scheme are to be submitted on the application form.

The form, covering letter and resume can be sent to Applications close on 31 March 2020.

Trainee Valuer Scheme - Application Form (DOCX, 108.4 KB)

If you have any queries regarding the Trainee Valuer Scheme, please see the brochure below or  contact VGV on (+61 3) 7004 1491.

Trainee Valuer Scheme

Australian Property Institute

Graduates who complete a property degree in valuations at RMIT, the University of Melbourne or Deakin University can apply for membership of the Australian Property Institute (API) and become a Certified Practising Valuer (CPV). This requires two years of full-time supervised work experience and the successful completion of a panel interview by the API Board of Examiners. For more information phone the API Victorian Division on (+61 3) 9644 7500.

Further information

For location and contact details, visit contact us.

Page last updated: 09/06/20