The valuation authority is responsible for determining the value of a property for council rates notices and for land tax assessment notices.  The Valuer-General is the responsible valuation authority for most properties in Victoria.  The local council is the valuation authority for properties located in the municipal localities of Hume City Council, Mildura Rural City Council, Mornington Peninsula Shire Council and South Gippsland Shire Council.

If you disagree with the value of your property, as listed on your council rate notice or land tax assessment notice, you can lodge an objection with the relevant rating authority (either the local council or the State Revenue Office).

Objections to the valuation given on your council rates notice are to be lodged directly with your local council (

Objections to the valuation given on your land tax assessment notice are to be lodged with the State Revenue Office.  More information on land tax, including how to object to the value of your property, can be found on the State Revenue Office website (

Generally the objection must be in writing and directed to the relevant rating authority within two months of being given the notice. It should state the value of your property and the grounds on which you are objecting.

Objections based on coronavirus (COVID-19) will not be considered for assessment notices with a valuation date of 1 January 2020 (or earlier).  Fact sheet - Coronavirus (COVID-19) and valuations.

Objection Forms

Objections to a valuation shown on your council valuation and rate notice can be lodged electronically with participating councils using the objections portal.  The following councils are not currently using the portal: Greater Geelong, Greater Shepparton, Hume, Indigo, Mansfield, Mount Alexander, Murrindindi, Queenscliffe, South Gippsland, Stonnington and Yarra City. You will need to seek advice from these councils on how to lodge an objection.

Pro-forma objection forms can be sourced from your local council. However, if this is not possible, please use the following Valuer-General Victoria generic versions.

The completion of the objection pro-forma will ensure compliance with the Valuation of Land Act 1960 and will assist in discussions with the council valuer to identify areas of contention. Please post or deliver your completed objection form(s) and attachments to the local council issuing the rate and valuation notice.

Objection form Residential  (DOC, 60.5 KB)

Objection form Rural  (DOC, 62.0 KB)

Objection form Commercial/Industrial  (DOC, 67.0 KB)

You can also refer to the following sections of the Valuation of Land Act 1960:

  • Who can object – Section 16
  • Grounds for objection – Section 17
  • Time within which you must lodge an objection with the council – Section 18
  • How objections are dealt with – Section 21
  • The appeals process – Section 22.

To view the Act online go to Victorian Legislation and select In Force Legislation, then Acts in Force and enter the name of the Act.

Page last updated: 17/09/20