Victoria’s Surveyor-General is Craig Sandy.
Roles and responsibilities for the Surveyor-General are prescribed under a diverse range of Acts and regulations of Parliament.
The role of the Surveyor-General includes responsibilities for Victoria's:
- land surveying
- protection of the cadastre
- land administration
- positioning (geodetic) infrastructure
- geographic place names
- electoral system
- leadership of the profession.
The Surveyor-General plays a key governance role in Victoria and is:
- the statutory authority on land surveying and cadastral boundaries
- the Registrar of Geographic Names in Victoria (visit VICNAMES)
- chair of the Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria
- a Commissioner for Electoral Boundaries in Victoria
- a member of the Federal Redistribution Committee for Victoria
- a State Verifying Authority for the measurement of length
- responsible for registering survey plans in the Central Plan Office
- leading the Office of Surveyor-General Victoria and its contribution to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning's (DELWP) corporate mission, product and service delivery charter.
The Surveyor-General is also responsible for:
- providing high-level advice to the Minister and DELWP on statutory and policy matters relating to land surveying, the positioning system and the cadastre
- determining and approving Crown (government) land boundaries and alignments
- coordinating land surveying activities within Victoria to ensure that appropriate standards are maintained by state authorities
- maintaining Victoria's positioning system and infrastructure
- setting standards of measurement
- monitoring licensed surveyors’ compliance with regulations and standards to ensure adequate maintenance of the cadastral boundaries that form the basis of land ownership in Victoria
- publishing surveying practice directions in relation to standards of measurement, surveying and marking through the Surveyor-General of Victoria Practice Directives and relevant sections of the Survey Practice Handbook.
Page last updated: 19/06/19